Thursday 9 February 2012

Class Assignment: Write a letter to Jeremy Lim

Assignment:
1) Go to http://www.jeremylim.com/home/about-me and read up about Jeremy Lim, the boy who never give up, whom we learnt about on Wednesday's FTGP. You can also explore his other posts.
2) Write a letter to Jeremy on the colour paper given to you on Friday.
Points that you could include in your letter:
-Why are you writing a letter to him? (Please don't write that it's because Miss Loh asked you to. Just give a reason that you think motivates you to write to him) 
-Tell him something about yourself
-Share your feelings with him about how you felt after reading his blog
-How would you have felt if you were Jeremy.
-Ask him any questions that you are curious to know.
- What do you think you've learnt from him

Please elaborate on the points and feel free to inlcude as many other points that are relevant. Please also put your heart into this writing and not give me just a few skimpy sentences which do not reflect much thought on your part.
Submission date: Tuesday 14 Feb 2012

Here below is a sample letter that Miss Loh wrote to Mr Tan Chin Chye, who has left us earlier on this week. In this, I am a 12-year-old girl by the name of Ruby. Use this as an example on what are the things you could include to Jeremy.

Dear Mr Tan Chin Chye,
I am greatly saddened by your demise. Yet I am glad because it is because of your passing away that I got to know such a great person like you who helped build Singapore into what it is today. Without you, Singapore would not be free and prosperous like now, where everyone has a place to call his own. I still remember the riots that I read about in the history textbooks which tells of Singapore’s turbulent (troubled) past. I am curious to know how it feels like in your position, to see Singapore change from a tiny and weak country to what it is right now. Did you feel stressful having to create jobs in Singapore when we were first separated from Malaysia? Did you cry like Mr Lee Kuan Yew did when he announced the news to fellow Singaporeans over the television? I would really like to find out about all these but I reckon I will have to flip through the many books written about Singapore history to know. If I were you, I would have crumpled under the stress as it was such a difficult period back then. Our country then was so poor and has no natural resources, our future only seemed so gloomy. I'm so glad we have capable people like you who were there to help Singapore! 
Mr Tan, I am also truly inspired by you to study hard so that I can go to Raffles Institution and obtain a place to study in National University of Singapore (NUS). My sister is studying in NUS right now and my ambition is to be a politician just like you to help the people around me! Which subjects do you think I should learn so that I can be sucessful like you? Personally, I'm highly interested in Science and I am also the Science representative of my class! I feel proud of myself for that achievement but this is nothing in comparison to yours. You are my best role model!
I am also sorry to hear that your wife and daughter passed away so much earlier than you. It must have been one bad news after another for you when you had to live alone by yourself, without your loved ones by your side. I hope you found comfort in having your four adorable grandchildren with you even though your wife and daughter are no longer around. Now that you have moved on to the next world, I hope that your soul will rest in peace with them. Thank you for being my greatest inspiration.
Yours sincerely,
Ruby

Hope everyone will learn to appreciate and be thankful for what you have. :)

Cheers
Miss Loh

No comments:

Post a Comment